(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Friday, March 19, 2010

Splish Splash!

Splish Splash, here they are taking their bath. I know it isn't a great picture, but it is a little difficult to get two smiling kids, looking at the camera, in the same frame, and not show any inappropriate bits and pieces, so this will do.

Here they are with matching faux-hawks. Well, Leah's looks more like a curl which I guess is more appropriate.
Those little legs are getting strong. She can almost pull herself up to standing already. I had to put the rail up on the crib a couple of weeks ago and she is bound and determined to get herself up the stair in our family room into the kitchen.

I love these big blue eyes.



Miles likes to read to his sister. I love how his little fingers follow the words, even though he can't read them yet.
This face is priceless. She is not too sure about this at all but he was giving her such a nice, big hug.


Leah is almost crawling. She is getting around so well now that I am not sure whether she is going to bother learning to crawl anytime soon. She still scoots, but she gets up on one leg now instead of scooting on her bum so she is much more efficient. I found out just how fast she can move yesterday when she fell down the stairs. The gate is officially up for good now. Bad mom! Thank goodness she was fine, not a bump or bruise on her that I could see. Her mom, on the other hand, just about had a heart attack. I have a feeling Leah is going to be a bit more of a challenge than her brother was. She is already into the dogs water dish, destroying phone books, trying to pull the vacuum down on top of her, and trying to dive off the changing table. She really doesn't seem to have any fear.

I have finally talked her into sleeping in her crib at night. She is doing really well. We started with her making it about 20 minutes in the crib at a time and now she is making it about 2 hours. She is napping pretty well in the crib now too. She has also decided that it would be ok for her mommy to rock her to sleep at night in the rocking chair. I am so happy that she is starting to like being rocked to sleep. That used to be my favorite thing about the evenings when Miles was a baby, rocking him to sleep and snuggling with him with no distractions to end our day. It will be nice to have the same experience with Leah. Now her mommy just has to talk herself into leaving her in the crib when she goes to bed. I am so used to having her there now I miss her if she isn't there so I have been bringing her to bed with me when I go to sleep. I'll keep working at it though.

Miles is so happy to be outside again. This weather has been hard on him. It is really nice out for 2 or 3 days and we spend hours outside playing, riding bikes, and walking the dogs, and then we wake up to snow and cold weather for a few days. He gets cabin fever so much faster now that he remembers how much fun it is to be outside. We woke up to a little snow again today which makes me think maybe a trip to the aquarium is in order.

In other big news, Miles ate an actual carrot last night. What a breakthrough! He has been asking me to put different foods on his plate lately so he can "try it". He never tries it though, just plays with it a little bit. Last night I hid a bite of carrot in his mashed potato and he ate it. I've done this before, but he is just like The Princess and the Pea and that kid can pick a piece of veggie out of anything I sneak it into and spit it out. This time he didn't spit it out though and after he ate it I told him what I did. I also told him that if he finished eating the carrot he could have a cement truck for his reward. He actually ate the whole baby carrot. Now he really wants another truck since he saw the package of them I have stashed away. I told him if he eats real peas tonight he can earn another truck. Perhaps this will be the end of pureed veggies and fruits for Miles.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Kids are adorable... Love the bath pictures and Leah's eyes are beautiful. I am glad I am not the only one that had to be creative with veggies. One of he best ways to do this for me was in meat loaf. I could shred it or dice it very thin and add to the meat. (zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, etc...) OH.... and beds neither of my boys slept in a crib NEVER... We just put them in a reg. bed. Love ya!