(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We have a winner!

Three costumes later, and another trip to Target and we finally have a winner for the Halloween Costume of 2009.

Miles picked out a puppy costume earlier in the month, you know, back when the selection was great and he had many, many costumes to choose from. I thought the one he picked wasn't very cute, but it had a "football" collar (it was a St. Bernard with a wood barrel around the neck that Miles insisted was a football) and I figured if it is his costume he should choose it himself. He insisted that was the costume he wanted. Silly mom never tried it on him because I was kind of hoping we'd find something cuter in the meantime and I could take it back. Well, this morning we had a trick-or-treating activity at an assisted living center and we all slept in. We had a half hour to get all three of us ready and out of the house. I started putting the puppy costume on Miles and he threw a fit. "It's hurting me!" he said. I tried to explain to him that if we switched from shorts underneath to pants that it wouldn't hurt him, but he would have no part of that costume again. Luckily I still had last years dragon in the closet so I pulled it out and put it on him. It was a little tight and short in the arms and legs, but it worked for today. He refused to put the head part on though so I knew it wouldn't do for the rest of the week. Off to Target we went and sorted through the now very picked through costumes. I found a duck, no go. I found a turtle, no go. I found a robot looking thing, no go. Finally, Miles found a dinosaur. Yeah! So we have now been a dinosaur, a dragon, and back to a dinosaur. See a trend here? I really was trying to branch out. But the good news is that the costumes were 30% off and I can still return the puppy since we never took off the tags. The only confusion now is that Miles would rather play with the dinosaur than wear it. He has been carrying it around all day and the dinosaur is currently napping with him. Oh yeah, and for the trick-or-treating activity Miles decided that he only wanted one candy in his bucket at a time. Every time he would put a new candy in his bucket, he took the old one out. So he came home with one tootsie roll. Oh, the joys of parenting. At least I won't have to worry about cavities.


No comments: