(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Counting down

I finally found some gingerbread house kits at the store the other day. They weren't as fancy as the ones we have done in the past, but they seemed like the perfect size for the kids to be able to decorate them on their own. Leah even decorated hers all by herself. She actually did a pretty good job except that we didn't want to wait an hour for them to dry before decorating so I had to hold hers together while she pressed all her decorations on, otherwise the house kept collapsing on her. Let's see if you can guess whose is whose. ;-)

Not bad for a 2 year old though!

My happy little decorators busy at work.

And here they are with their finished projects. We had to prop some stuff up with q-tips while they dried.

They were fun to put together, but next year we decided we are going to try and make our own from scratch.

We ventured out for a day trip to Sedona a couple weekends ago. It was nice to escape the snow for a few hours. When we were out to breakfast a couple told us about this hike that was "kid friendly." We found it on Clay's phone and headed over to try it out. I will admit the trail wasn't steep which is good for kids, but there were some decent drops off the side of the trail. Not sure if I would classify that as kid friendly. I mean, the kids seemed to enjoy it, but the parents were ready to have a heart attack! After about an hour of hiking, we pulled the gps up on Clay's phone and realized we were only 1/6 of the way around the loop. Leah was already slowing down so we decided to turn around and head back. Even though we didn't get to finish the hike, it provided some beautiful scenery to look at.

Santa came into town the other night on a train so we drove downtown to see him arrive. Leah fell asleep on the way there so Clay stayed with her in the car. Too bad he had the camera. He did snap this photo of the train with his phone from across the street. Miles seemed to enjoy seeing the train more than Santa and didn't want to leave. It was quite cold outside though so I finally talked him into heading back.

Only a few more days to go! The kids are so excited and so am I! We have a few more little projects to keep us busy thank goodness, otherwise we might go crazy waiting for the big day. I did cave in and let them open one gift yesterday from their cousins. We got their box yesterday and we figured it wouldn't hurt to open just one... Miles wanted to know if there was a "cool" present in the box, because if there's a cool one, then it is for a boy. He also said his present was "so, so, so, awesome! So awesome!" I hope Santa does as well with his gift selection. Leah liked her gift too, although she wasn't quite as vocal about it as Miles.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I love your gingerbread houses. :) What a fun mom you are. The hike you took is beautiful. Hope you guys have a very merry Christmas. Love you tons!