(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Projects

We have been stuck inside a lot lately due to the cold and snow which has left us lots of time to work on projects.  I decided to try out some watercolor techniques a few weeks ago.  Miles decided he wanted to do a watercolor painting too.  He decided he wanted to paint a lighthouse so he drew a lighthouse by himself and then proceeded to paint it how he wanted to.  I love how it turned out so much I bought a frame for it!
 Miles got a book on how to draw animals for his birthday from my brother and his family.  He sat down and drew several animals the first night.  This was his shrimp. 
This is the art project I have been working on.  I think it is finally done, but I will stare at it another week or two before I decide for sure.  I have wanted to draw this picture for a long time so I'm glad I finally sat down to do it.
Leah didn't want to be left out of the artwork fun.  I saw this idea on pinterest a few weeks ago.  She did this all by herself.
 She painted this for Valentine's Day.  One of the moms at her school took these pictures and put them all together.  I thought it was such a cute idea.
 Miles made this snowman at school.  He used some sort of modeling clay to make the snowman. 
 Miles' teacher keeps telling me we need to work on his handwriting.  I thought his handwriting was fine for a kindergartener, but I'm not a kindergarten teacher so what do I know?  I do think handwriting is important and want him to have a good foundation so I have started working with him on it at home.  We figured out that it really helps him to have a reminder of where to start each letter so he can develop good writing habits.  I bought a bunch of handwriting workbooks from the dollar store that have starting dots for each letter and we have been working on a few pages every night.  We have finished 3 books so far and I can see a lot of improvement.  He has really been working hard and his attitude has totally changed towards his handwriting homework.  He is proud of his hard work.  This is the Valentine card he brought home.  I think it looks great!  I'm interested to see what his teacher thinks when we have our conference in a few weeks.
 Leah doesn't want to be left out of anything, even homework, so she has been working on handwriting sheets too.  She loves to trace letters and finished a whole Kumon book in 3 days this week.  She has been learning to write her name and is doing really well with it.  Here is the worksheet she brought home from school today.
 We still like doing The Home Depot Kids Workshop projects each month.  These are the birdhouses we made at The Home Depot in January.  I can't wait until it is warm enough to hang them up outside.  The kids are excited to make racecars next month.
We found this picture hanging system at Ikea last month.  I thought this would be perfect for hanging up the kids art projects.  It definitely brightens up the hallway.  
Grandma and Grandpa U came to visit us in January.  It was really cold then so we couldn't get out and do much while they were here, but we enjoyed having them here for a few weeks.  Leah thought Grandma was her own personal playmate and she was in heaven.  I think poor Grandma was worn out every night after trying to keep up with Leah all day.  Miles enjoyed having them here to help us celebrate his birthday.  He was excited to come home after school and tell them all about his day.  We miss you Grandma and Grandpa U!
 
I love to see the kids develop their relationships with their grandparents.  My kids are very lucky to have two amazing sets of grandparents who enjoy spending time with them and love them very much!  I have always enjoyed spending time with my grandparents and have so many great memories with them.  I know Clay has many great memories with his grandparents too.  My grandpap passed away a few weeks ago.  It was unexpected and I am sad to have to say goodbye to him already.  My grandpap had the best laugh and I think that is what I will always remember best about him!  My brother posted this picture on facebook and I just love it.  It is not how I remember them of course, but it is fun to think of how many fun times they had together.  It makes me smile to think of him and Grandma back together again.  And yes, Grandpa U, they did do a 21 gun salute for him.  I wish I could have seen that!
 
 Miles got to do his first science fair project a few weeks ago.  He and his dad worked hard racing hotwheels cars down the hallway and measuring how far they went.  Miles wrote down all the measurements and helped weigh the cars.  The car he picked to go the farthest actually won too.  I'm not sure who enjoyed doing this project more, Miles or Dad.  We got a pleasant surprise when we went to the family science night at his school and found out he won second place!  We didn't even know they were giving out awards.  
 
We decided to escape the cold weather last weekend and drove to Sedona for the day.  It was nice to be in short sleeves and actually feel hot for a change.  We found a fun little hike to do, had lunch out on a patio in the sun, and played at the park with the kids.  Leah decided she likes to play soccerball.  I'm hoping to sign her up for soccer this summer.  Miles doesn't want to play soccer, but he does want to play tee ball again so I am signing him up for little league this week. 
 
 

No comments: