(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Full Steam Ahead

We had more visitors last week. See, now you all know how to keep me blogging, just come visit me! There is a train near here that goes to the Grand Canyon for the day. Normally a diesel engine pulls the train, but on special occasions they use an old restored steam engine to pull the train. Since Valentines Day was Arizona's Centennial celebration as a state, the steam engine got to make the trek to the canyon. When I told my parents about it, they wanted to come down and ride the train with us to the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have great luck with planning the weather here, so they had to drive down in the snow just to get here, and then we had to drive through even more snow to get to the train station, but we made it and I think I can safely say it was worth the drive! Once we got to the station the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day.

Even my mom had a smile on her face!

And of course Miles did too, although he was too busy looking out the window to stop and smile for me. He is at that age where he gets tired of me wanting to take a million pictures of him so I just have to hope I can get one once in a while where he actually looks at me.

Leah decided the sun was too bright on her eyes after all that snow, so she borrowed Grandma B.'s sunglasses.

She and Grandma enjoyed watching out the window too.

A mountain man stopped by to say "hi." Leah wasn't sure what to think about that.

We made it to the Grand Canyon and we could actually see it this time!

Pictures just don't do it justice. At least not the pictures that I take.

Leah and Miles liked throwing snowballs into the big hole in the ground. I was scared they were going to throw one a little too hard and go flying over the railing with the snowball so I had one hand on them at all times.

Or I let Grandma and Grandpa keep track of them for me.

Two people in love on Valentines Day. My Valentine couldn't make it because he had to go to a class, but we took him home some goodies.

Finally got a picture of the steam engine without a bunch of people around. This guy wouldn't move out of the way though so I could get the perfect picture. Maybe I should have bribed him with Clay's chocolates.

This is the restored car we rode in to get there.

I guess the train robbers heard about our Centennial ride too. They stopped our train on the way home and came on board to steal our money. Lucky for me, I don't have any money. He did get a dollar out of Leah though.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Looks like a great time. I am sure Miles loved every minute of it. The Grand Canyon looks beautiful - need to make it there one day!

Holly said...

That looks like so much fun!!! :) Glad you were able to see the Grand Canyon this go around. The train rides looks like a ton of fun also.