(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Sunday, August 19, 2012

School Days

First Day of Kindergarten!
Miles was so excited for his first day of school.  He even woke me up 15 minutes before my alarm went off to make sure I didn't forget about it.  Miles has been waiting for 2 years to ride on a school bus.  I think the highlight of his first day was getting to ride the bus home.  He is wearing his backpack in front so you can't see much, but he was so excited about the bus I had to get a picture of him when he got home.  I think Tuesday was the longest day of my life.  By 3:00 I was counting down the minutes until he would be home.  It was hard having him gone all day long.  Slowly but surely we are getting used to him being gone all day.  He is really enjoying kindergarten so it is fun to greet him at the bus stop each afternoon and ask him all about his day.
We had a visitor a couple weeks ago.  My Great Uncle Ray came out to visit some friends and stopped by to see us for a day.  It was fun to see him again and the kids really enjoyed having a new playmate for a day.  
We decided to go exploring while he was here and headed out to a volcano crater first.  Even though we didn't actually get to see into the crater, it was fun to see all the lava rocks piled up.  It was almost like being on another planet. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 After we finished exploring the volcano crater we drove out to see some Indian ruins.  These were pretty neat.  I've always loved Chaco Canyon and hope to take the kids to see it some day and although these ruins were much smaller than Chaco they were still amazing to see.  The first one we stopped at was built up on top of a rock.  It almost looked like a castle sitting up there.
 The kids really enjoyed checking out this room through the little doorway.
 
 
 Then someone forgot to duck going through the doorway and I thought we might have to take a detour to the ER for some stitches.  Luckily, after we stopped by the visitor center for some first aid supplies and cleaned him all up, it didn't seem to be deep enough to need stitches.  It stopped bleeding pretty quickly and we were even able to do a little more exploring, although Miles was a little mad at me for taking his picture all bandaged up.   We are still waiting for the scab to fall off, but he seems to be healing up pretty well.
 

1 comment:

Holly said...

such a pretty area.. I really think we need to come down and do some exploring with you. I can't believe Miles in all day kindergarten.. yikes!!! I am so glad he is enjoying it. How is Leah doing with it all??