(and doing my best to keep up with Leah)

Friday, August 31, 2012

Too Cool For School

First Day of Preschool!
Leah just finished her second week of preschool.  She is going to school two mornings a week this year.  She was really excited about going to school at first, but when her first day came around I could tell she was feeling a little nervous about it.  I woke up sick on her first day and couldn't take her so Clay took her to school instead.  Once they got there, she wouldn't let him leave. Poor Clay had to go to a meeting though so after 20 minutes he had to leave her.  Leah was upset and cried, but her teacher said she was fine after just a couple minutes.  When I picked her up from school that day she told me she didn't want to go to school until she was 5, like Miles.   I was able to take her for her second day and I had the whole morning free to hang out with her if necessary.  We talked about all the things she would do while she was at school and how much fun it was going to be.  I helped her get settled and started to leave, but she was still not ready for me to go yet.  Then we found some puzzles to put together.  Leah loves doing puzzles so she settled right in after that.  After we finished a few puzzles she told me, "You can go now, Mommy."  I gave her a hug and kiss and said good bye and she was fine.  This week she has been excited to go to school.  She comes home from school singing lots of songs and her teacher says she has so much fun doing all the activities at the centers that she even forgets to eat her snack.  Here she is with a few of her art projects.
These are some of the flowers we planted this spring.
They have been loving all the afternoon rain.
 These are some of the wildflowers in our "yard."  They also love the rain.
 
 This is where Maya hides when there are thunderstorms.  She has not been loving all the rain.  She used to prefer to hide in Leah's princess tent, but I think Leah evicted her so this is her new hiding spot.
  This is how we spend our evenings.  After school the first thing Miles wants to do is ride his bike.
 
I can't believe how much homework Miles has been bringing home from school.  I don't remember ever having homework in kindergarten, but I guess times have changed.  We try to do a little bit each night, but save most of it for the weekends.  I've noticed he is already getting faster at getting through the handwriting sheets which is good because there are a lot of them.  We also do a lot of reading each night and it is fun to have him reading books to me for a change.  He seems to be picking everything up really well and always comes home excited about his day.  It makes it easier to drop him off each morning knowing he is going to have a good day.  I've also been volunteering in his class twice a week and it is nice to be able to see him in his surroundings and see what the kids are doing in class.  It is great to see how many other parents are helping out in the classroom too.  His teacher seems very nice and is good with the kids.  It seems like she and Miles are a good match.

We went for another hike a couple weeks ago.  This was a fun hike, but it ended up being a little tougher than we thought it would be.  The kids were complaining by the time we finished the loop.
 All four of us in one picture!  A nice lady we passed by on the trail asked if she could take our picture.
Miles spotted this little guy along the way.
 I drive past this field of wildflowers every day on my way to town.  I finally remembered my camera the other day and took some pictures. 

2 comments:

Holly said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love the area you are in. So very pretty. :) It is hard to believe both kiddos are in school. Glad they are both liking it. That makes mornings so much nicer. :) One day we will have to come down and visit you. :)

Leslie said...

Your 'yard' looks beautiful with all the wild flowers. I am so glad the kids like school. Did you get teary -eyed dropping Miles off? I did with Isaac.